Monday 13 June 2011

Yikes - 10 days to go!

How did that happen. Last time I looked we had six weeks left and lots of time to get in some big miles! Maybe its just the persistently inclement weather - no sarcasm please Gordie! - fooling me into thinking we are still in March. That said, I did a 70miler yesterday (Sunday) up through the Glens of Antrim to Cushendun and I actually had to stop and take my leg warmers off!

Yesterdays spin comes after two pretty lean weeks, the last bank holiday weekend saw me do 4 hours on each of the three days but I only looked at the bike once in between then and yesterday. But what a way to get going again. Though the mileage was not anywhere near the full 100, the terrain is some of the hardest in Northern Ireland. Up and down constantly with at least four climbs of around five miles and varying gradients. My descending skills were well tested too which was great fun, though the manure and gravel on some the bends not so welcome. I was delighted to be met by the family at the end of the spin (we were having a day out Mrs B's sister and her family) with a glass of wine and a table, yes a table, not plate of food.

Do I feel confident? Yes and no! I think we will all get round, but have no doubt that we will all suffer at various points, but hopefully the camaraderie and caffeine gels will take effect!


Peter - If you managed 100m on your own yesterday in those pretty awful conditions I don't think you are going to have too many problems getting round, and I wouldn't get too worried about the speed, it really is much easier in a big group.

No comments:

Post a Comment