Monday 13 June 2011

Peter Land's training diary: 'his bike cost more than my car'

Image © Jason Munn

Wed 1st June
Blimey what have I done? I feel stupid and unsure, confident it’s the right thing, but nervous that I’ll make an even bigger fool of myself.
It was like this; the Brewin ‘team’ all registered to ride in the speed group they individually thought, mainly three and four (of five). I of course registered in five as that’s the slowest and this isn’t a race, just an ordeal. Then chatter started between them that we should all ride in the same group in order to support each other, etc. and they decided to go for group four; probably too easy for some but they thought they could always trade up after the first day if it was too boring for them. I kept quiet as there’s no way I’m moving from group five, I need all the help I can get.
On Saturday, I met up with a friend who is a triathlete, he must be good because his bike cost more than my car and we did 42 miles at a good pace. Fitness was great, tired but I could have gone on, except for my knee, which was extremely painful and it is obvious I will need to control that if I am to do over 100 miles a day. Then the cycling club got in touch with me, thanks for my message (they obviously hadn’t been aware how miserable I was at the time!) and would I like to join them tomorrow? So on Sunday I swallowed what is apparently the strongest painkiller from the medicine box at home and met them in a local car park. It was… strange. Three chaps, none particularly fit or ambitious, obviously just out for a social cycle at what I found to be a gentle pace. I ended up doing 36 miles but rather slowly. The main discovery was – almost no pain. Feeling like that I could have kept going for ages more. So today, full of confidence from the weekend’s experiences, I too have moved myself up to group four and am now feeling very unsure of the wisdom of that. I hope I can keep up - help!
Sun 5th June
Arranged to meet a friend who cycles on a mountain bike – I did this once before and it’s easy for me, on my road bike, so I set off all confident and happy, if a little tired as it’s stupidly early for a Sunday morning. Unfortunately, he rang me when I was a few yards from the house and cried off, so I had to organise my own route and headed off on a familiar one that takes in a few Hertfordshire hills but nothing too onerous. Then decided to divert over to where I know there’s a ford as for some reason I felt like riding through one and haven’t done so for about 40 years. That went okay, surprisingly slippery but I stayed on. I ended up doing 42 miles in wind at over 16 mph, which is a fair lick and was surprised how tired I felt after. Forgot my painkillers too, won’t do that again…
Wed 8th June
It really is all go now – getting the charity’s riding kit and Brewin Dolphin’s today. I suspect I’ll still ride in my own but not for 3 days, I’m not that disgusting, but having spent a fortune (see 28th Feb) for the super duper ones I’m blowed if I’m trading down to cheap ones, I’m determined to look the part of the professional, at least until anyone sees me actually get on the bike.
Mon 13th June
Today was supposed to be a day of triumph. Having signed up for a ride of 128 miles over the highest points in five counties (yes there are hills in East Anglia, albeit quite small ones), I have instead to report growing confusion, doubt and disillusionment.
The story of the day is long but the quicker version is that I set off really early, on my own, two hours ahead of the proper ride as I had to get back to greet family visitors. The weather was horrendous, gusting rain all day. The roads were tough and in British condition. The painkillers worked – up to a point, but I will have to work out something better I think – and the leg muscles held out for what I did. The problem however is that I was so slow, averaging 12 mph, I had to cut the ride short at just over 100 miles as I ran out of time. Could I have finished? Yes, I think so. Could I have gone faster? Possibly, had I better painkillers and a group to set the pace for me. Could I have gone faster and finished? Dunno. Could I get back on a bike today? Yes, but I know I’d be far worse that yesterday, and that wasn’t good enough. Hence, as I said, doubt and confusion. Can’t wait for this all to be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment