Tuesday 21 June 2011

Peter Land: The last post

Thur 16th June
Now it is getting silly – many emails between the group on the subject of shaving legs. Obviously it streamlines air resistance and apparently it makes treatment of cuts easier when (if?) you come off. Not for me, thanks, I’m going to try and stay on and so will keep my legs as nature intended. I have however ordered one piece of extra protection, learning from my wet and cold run last weekend - neoprene overshoes, which are posh wellies for cyclists. Hopefully I won’t need them, but I’m not riding for 3 days with freezing cold and wet feet.
Fri 17th June
The Brewin strip has arrived. It has not been greeted with universal approval – everyone thinks it looks nice, but unfortunately they’ve sent us the one made for a junior school cycling team and our group of ex professional rugby players and middle aged businessmen cannot get into it – or if we can, it’s not easy to get out again. I take it home and get my wife to stop giggling for long enough to take a photo (comments not welcome, thanks);

Sat 18th June
Heard from my friend who has just completed a similar ride to Paris. He tells me that the middle day took his group 13 hours, “nothing can prepare you for how steep and long the hills are”. Thanks, I wish I hadn’t asked.
Sun 19th June
My final training weekend and only gentle exercise is recommended, so I trot out for a round trip of 35 miles to take in the village fair near my mother in law. Nice and fast, too, but not really a test as I stopped half way for 3 hours and two pints. Maybe that’s how I should approach the journey later this week?
 Mon 20th June
Beginning to panic a bit as I haven’t received the overshoes – the supplier is promising to try to get them to me. Too late to worry if they don’t, unless they are prepared to deliver en route. I’m also trying to remember where I have to sign in on Wednesday afternoon, where I’m staying the night before heading off, where I left my Euros, what time train I come home on and not least, where my passport is. Is there anything else?
Tue 21st June
Last day, last blog. My thoughts now are not really what I would have hoped, eager and excited anticipation, but more crowded with logistical details. How do I keep in touch with my office? Do I take the BlackBerry charger and leave my daughter with an unusable phone, or hope someone else has one I can borrow? Dare I wear the Brewin strip, or the one I know is comfortable? Will Mrs Land have changed the locks on me while I’m away?
Anyway, I can’t go without one big final thanks to my sponsors, who have all been thanked personally and know that their support is what will drive me on. And of course to Tabitha and to Leanne, my pit girls who between them have organised me and got me to the start line. Now I’ll try to get to the finish!

No comments:

Post a Comment