Sunday 5 June 2011

Club run to Stourport on Severn

No riding on Saturday as I discovered that my rear tyre had split after the sportive last weekend and I didn't have a spare to put on. On Sunday I met up with my club and joined the B group ride out to Stourport in Worcestershire. It was a 70 mile trip and we covered the ground at a very comfortable 16 mph. Having ridden most of the last 3 weekends on my own and over long distances I had forgotten the benefits of group riding particularly on windy days and today's run was pretty easy and I felt I could have gone faster. On the way back it got a bit lumpy and we had to keep slowing to wait for laggards until 5 of us broke away with about 20 miles to go and we were able to pick up the speed up. I found myself riding with a guy on a brand new Madone 6.9 (nice bike) and it was very satisfying when I beat him to the top of every hill. Whilst I didn't enjoy last weekends sportive it obviously did me some good and I felt very confident on the hills today. Cycling to work is also helping as is the weight loss over the last month as the miles have gone up. I now have 10lbs less to pull up the hills!

I was going to post my Garmin report of the ride today but for some reason at the half way point the map showed me cycling out over the Atlantic, across Central America and half way across the Pacific before turning back to record my journey home. All very strange!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on a great ride yesterday Stephen! I'm sorry to hear about your tyre on Saturday but glad that you managed to get it sorted for Sunday. It sounds like your training really is paying off and you're doing fantastically. I hope you enjoyed the ride and it was good cycling through Worcestershire (my home county!). Your fundraising is going brilliantly too so thank you so much for all your hard work with the training and the fundraising so far! Sarah

    ReplyDelete