Wednesday 27 April 2011

The long weekend.



The long weekend provided the perfect opportunity to test the legs. The weather in Jersey was perfect, but isn't it always? It all started on Thursday with my usual cycle to work followed by a spinning class during the lunch hour. I was cycling home and would have finished with only 10 miles on the clock but caught up with a friend who was heading out for the 5 mile road. It's not quite 5 miles but it's the longest flat, straight road we have. The Jersey Cycling Association were grouped half way along, holding the first event of their four day race festival using part of the 'long' road, before climbing out of the bay to make a large circuit. It all looked very serious, with turbo trainers for warming up and custom race bikes. As we cycled past we were caught up and overtaken several times. I glanced at my Garmin to make sure we were still cycling at 16mph but it didn't feel like it! Plenty to do to improve my speed I thought! 15 miles later I was home thinking how much those club cyclists would be covering over the weekend. Friday joined the wife for her usual circuit of 30 miles. Saturday was club day and I was feeling good. I had just loaded up on my SiS PSP22 Fuel, had a full bottle of Go and an energy bar (that should be worth a couple of freebies)! The group today was small, just 11 of us as the others (probably the more serious, but i was not about to ask) were competing at the race festival. The pace whilst not up to the previous week, was good and I had the opportunity to go to the front. The only serious hill was definitely getting easier! Having finished at the Watersplash and refuelled I carried on and joined my wife to add another 20 miles. 60 miles done. Arriving home the post had just been, and yes my new cycling Jersey had finally arrived. No more jokes about my attire ( Peter you have my sympathy). Anyone thinking of buying one just remember they have a racing cut 'tight' fit! I purchased a medium but would have opted for a large if given the choice again. They may be made by Adidas but they are made in Italy! The evening was spent at a BBQ arranged by my friend David hence the updated photo. Sunday was another trip with the wife but following a puncture on her bike and several ******* later ( I forgot the puncture repair kit) I was off to continue my journey alone. 30 miles mostly going round in circles is no fun - I can't wait for the Pearson 150. Finally Monday came and I missed the early morning cycle but decided to try in the evening when it was cooler. The first climb out of the bay was no fun and I was beginning to feel that perhaps I should have stayed at home. I was tired! Not willing to throw in the towel I decided on a very small circuit ( even smaller loops) but involving a good climb each time. The first was a struggle but it seemed wrong to give up knowing that my fellow cyclists would probably be doing their bit so round I went, again and again. Good for the legs, this was interval training! Eight loops later and 18 miles done, home. Not many aches but tired, and no need for the cream just yet. Grand total 163 miles - phew! Only need to do that in a day and half now!!

1 comment: