Tuesday 26 April 2011

One small blog for man....

I have finally got around to writing my introductory blog which, like the looming L2P endurance event is a first for me. My adult sporting life has revolved around rugby, not reaching full international status like Andrew but still playing at a fairly serious level where diet and training were taken seriously. I still play but on a purely “fun” basis for my local 3rd/vets xv. I, unlike many rugby players, have always enjoyed training (the diet is another matter) so when the opportunity to take part in the L2P came about I was very enthusiastic. However rugby training is about power and speed endurance within a confined space, everything being on hand with a big support team and training for a cycling endurance event is not.

I met Geoff Thomas in Birmingham with Stephen Jones and was inspired by his dedication and immediately hooked with the physical challenge but with 2 children under 4 years old, knew I would require the pink ticket from my wife. I knew Meena’s Dad had died with cancer when she was 15, an event in her life she still struggles to talk about but when I told her (asked permission) about L2P she told me her Dad had contracted non Hodgkin’s lymphoma and she was fully supportive. I have been fortunate not to have known anyone close who has suffered cancer of any form but I am aware through Meena and her family just how devastating an effect it has. I feel genuinely privileged to be given an opportunity to be part of a team that will raise a lot of money.

My cycling to this point had been limited to 45 mins each way along the towpath into the office on a fairly sturdy mountain bike. I knew I would have to fork out on a road bike and new kit as apparently rugby kit would chaff all the areas you would never want chaffed. I have passed through a pretty similar learning and expenditure curve to Peter. Putting things in perspective my bike cost more than my first 2 cars combined although in honesty this says more about my taste in cars than my bike.

Training was progressing nicely until a month ago when the wheels fell off, or at least disappeared. I had just acquired my new road bike and had not even sat on it in anger when I was talked into playing rugby in a local derby league decider which was an enjoyably “tasty” affair compared to our usual timid affairs. Unfortunately I dented my knee quite badly which is still quite swollen. I decided to battle through it and ride into work the following week until Thursday when my mountain bike was stolen from our office car park. I acquired another mountain bike which I assembled Saturday week ago and rode to work on Monday morning. The pedal dropped off on the way home and I was subsequently informed I needed a new crank thingy bobby which was not covered under warranty as I had assembled it incorrectly. In a pathetic moral victory I was informed by the mechanic at Cycle Surgery (we are now on first name terms) I had installed it correctly and the part had failed. However that does not help much and the bike is being fixed to be used next week.

Having re-read the last few paragraphs I sound like a right misery guts which is not quite true. I am enjoying my time on my new road bike and am up to riding just over 3 hours and bar my back, which gets very stiff, my body is holding up quite well. Rear end is coping admirably which may finally be a benefit of what God blessed me with and legs and lungs are fine. In 4 weeks I need to be able to cycle 100miles and if I can get through that in a sensible time I will feel relatively confident.

The questions on my mind are;

What can I do about my back?
Does anyone else get a cold foot?
Which group?
Where do I put my bananas Andrew Burns?
How does one dress?

ps still not comfortable with lycra so photo to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment