Sunday 10 April 2011

Joined a cycling club!

Decided to mix some training last week by adding a 'body pump' class to my usual spinning on Thursday. Enjoyed the class but will use smaller weights next time. Could barely move my arms on Friday and only just getting full movement now! My rest day on Friday went horribly wrong. Started with a fast cycle to work, a hard spin at lunchtime and a 25mile cycle in the evening with Ian from 'Big Maggys' one of the L2P sponsors. The idea was to take it easy ahead of my first ride with a club on Saturday morning. An 8:30 cycle to 'Big Maggies' in the town centre for coffee to join Ian and two serious looking cyclists before meeting the Velo Cycling Club at 9am. Started in the first (slower group) as we are only allowed to go in groups of 6 for the first 5 miles before regrouping at Gorey on the east of the island. The group was now 30 strong and we were on our way to St Catherines. Weather was beautiful, not a cloud in the sky and no wind. I can only hope the weather will be just as kind in June. The ride finished at the Watersplash and covered just over 40 miles with a good average speed of 19.1mph and a top speed on my Garmin of 36.2mph. Only one hill of any significance this time for which I was grateful. I survived and managed to stay reasonably close to the front for most of the ride but dropped back a little with the final spint for coffee and bacon rolls. Feeling a little more confident with no aches (other than my arms) I have now booked for the Pearson 150 in May, but will have to ride twice around the island in preparation. Still having fun and really looking forward to June.

No comments:

Post a Comment