Sunday 3 April 2011

First ride of the year




Having not turned a peddle in anger on Britain's roads for nigh on 3 years, I had my first couple of rides around the Yorkshire countryside this weekend. To say that they were tough would be an understatement (not helped by strong winds yesterday and driving rain on the way back today!). Managed to ride around 65-75 miles in total with my old man, which is way off where I need to be but a half decent first effort. I didn't ride any routes that were too strenuous, using Saturday's ride to tweak my setup and make sure I was comfortable on my bike and todays to get some more miles into my legs. I've got a couple of Sportives coming up in late April so hopefully I can use those to get to L2P fitness.

On another (but related) note I thought I would share with people a couple of bits of kit i've been particularly happy with this weekend. The first is a pair of DHB bib shorts (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-knowle-bib-cycling-shorts/). Although i'm no cycling veteran, i've ridden enough miles in uncomfortable shorts to know how vital a good pair can be. They're not cheap by any means but are really, really comfortable and they also look pretty good too! The second thing are a pair of Descente over socks (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/descente-sock-shoe-covers/). I personally think these are a bit of a bargain at only £10. In April/early May weather, these will be really handy, especially on days where there is a cold snap to the wind. They are rubbish in the wet though, as i found out today.

No comments:

Post a Comment