Monday 11 April 2011

The secret diary of Peter Land

Peter shares part one his training diary with us...

Wed 2nd Feb
Email from Sasha. Brewin Dolphin is sponsoring a cycle ride for LLR. Good news is that it’s apparently a once in a lifetime opportunity to join in something like that – sounds a good challenge. Maybe I need one, at my age? Bad news is that’s it’s on a bike and I haven’t ever fancied cycling, but worth thinking about now my knees won’t let me run long distances. The bike I own is gathering dust at the back of the garage and is some mountain type thing that cost £50, new, so it’s not exactly great. Maybe not then.
Fri 4th Feb
It’s London to Paris, apparently. Sounds a long way. Looked at websites – it seems quite a popular route. There are several trips that do it, they all seem to take 4 days.
Ours is to be done in 3 days. Decided it may be worth putting my name down just in case.
Tuesday 15th Feb
Saw my golf mate Mike on the train. He cycles so I asked him about what I’d need. His bike cost £3500 apparently – can’t afford that. He also has been knocked off twice recently so is having a rest from cycling. Not encouraging.
I took a lunch hour and wandered round to Evans Cycles to find out what we’d need. The answer is simple – a bike. And some special shorts. And gloves. And shoes. And sunglasses, CO2 pump, etc etc. The bike will be north of £500, needs to have carbon forks apparently. The rest of the gear is about the same again. Ouch. Still I’d look like a right wimp if I backed out now. Maybe I should get advice from my friend Andrew, I think he cycles.
Wed 16th Feb
Andrew is in Australia, cycling. He tells me he’s ‘done’ the Outer Hebrides, Corsica and the length of the Pyrenees from Biaritz to Perpignan. He also, encouragingly, mostly confirmed what the bike shop told me. It looks like I’ve drifted into actually doing this, so better tell Mrs Land.
Thurs 17th Feb
Mrs Land wasn’t happy. Apparently I’m mad, will die and never see my children grow up and I haven’t got time anyway. Signed up for the spinning class at the gym in an effort to try and make sure I do survive.
Spinning was surprising fun. Got very hot but the legs were okay. Admittedly the only other person there is a lady almost my age, declaring that she’s horribly unfit, but I did manage to stay ahead of her.
Sat 19th Feb
15 minutes hard cycling on the bike machine before golf. Felt okay but I played rubbish golf – I assume there’s a connection. Went to local bike shop. He said the same things as I’d heard in the London shop - £600 will get me the bike, about the same again for all the equipment and don’t forget the cream. Apparently you put it on instead of underwear. Sounds disgusting.
Fri 25th Feb
Talk by email around the office on setting up JustGiving pages to help get the sponsorship going for all of us. £3000 is a lot of money and that’s what we’re each committed to raise.
Tue 1st March
Spinning was a different instructor, felt harder and my legs are more or less fine – promising. Test rode the bike at Evans Cycles – really encouraging. Went round the back of Holborn and it’s so fast and easy, zipped around and now feel that this can be done. Returned and bought the bike!
Wed 2nd March
Took bike home on train. Attempted to ride it from the station to home at 8pm, my hands practically froze to the handlebars they were so cold. Must get gloves.
Tue 8th March
Went spinning (spun?) again last night and I have to say, apart from getting v v hot and sweaty, it actually felt better. I may be getting accustomed to this?
Wed 16th March
The first big training day. Took day off and went out on a major (for me) ride. Plotted a good run around Hertfordshire, 28 ½ miles, it’s on a cycling website and described as ‘tough and hilly’. Set off just after 9 am, had a delay as I had to adjust the tension on the pedals. Fell off once when I couldn’t get my foot out at a T junction, nearly fell off about another 3 times as well. Embarrassed rather than hurt, but not sure about the bike, I think I pulled the brake caliper away from the wheel okay but I’m glad it’s getting a free 6 week service. Allowing for the delay at the beginning, I reckon it took 2 ½ hours, so that’s 11.4 mph which is still way too slow. Also, most worryingly I did feel tired, but the worst thing was the pain in my knees. I wonder if I can get a cartilage op before June?  
Sat 19th March
Frost delay before golf, so was able to do a hard session on the exercise bike. Quite pleasing, but disaster after as I badly twisted my ankle. Perhaps all this exercise is weakening me? It’s very sore, can’t see me cycling for a bit.
Monday 21st March
My ankle has got a red lump the size of a golf ball on the inside bone and is very sore.
Sun 27th March
Couldn’t put foot to the ground, ankle killing me, obviously needs a proper rest.
Sat 2nd April
I think the ankle will take it now so I’ve set up a 32 mile route for tomorrow afternoon, quite excited.
Sun 3rd April
The frustration! Rugby overran badly, had to dash straight to Mothering Sunday lunch, ride cancelled.
Mon 4th April
Up for the spinning class but called upon instead to do 3 hours editing of son’s RE project. This ride is doomed. The good news is my keen cyclist friend is back from Australia and wants to meet up on Saturday to talk about a ride together. In order to get to use the bike, I said I’d cycle over to him. This should enable me to see how far behind I really am and what I’ve got to do.

Will Peter make it to Paris or will his ankle fail him? Will Mrs Land ever forgive him if he doesn’t come home in one piece? Tune in next time to find out…

No comments:

Post a Comment