Sunday 3 April 2011

My new toy!


My last distance cycle ride was about 16 years ago touring France on an old steel framed Peugeot (gear shifts on the crossbar) with my wife Ruth before we decided to have children! Since then our cycling trips have been more limited until our two sons were old enough to ride their own bikes. I have done a few sponsored cycle trips for the Anthony Nolan Bone Marrow Trust with Louis and Pierre but only the 25 mile course leaving Ruth to d0 the 60 miles! These were all done on Hybrids with the youngest on a tag-along. Although my current Trek Hybrid has reliably carried me to work and back for many years, signing up for the L2P was my opportunity to upgrade and compete with Ruth (the cyclist) on a level playing field. After both of us trying out several machines we agreed that the Trek Madone was the one to go for. The newest member of the family finally arrived on the 31st March, although I collected him on Friday 1st April. Being superstitious he was carefully carried on the car bike rack until Saturday morning when final adjustments were made. Wow! I have no excuse not to ride now, and look forward to many miles in the saddle with the rest of the team. My only trouble is long cycle rides as being on an Island the longest road is not even 5 miles long!

No comments:

Post a Comment