Monday 18 April 2011

Rider biog: Andrew Burns

I started cycling properly at the age of ten (by proper I mean going for longer spins with no objective other than getting fitter as opposed to tearing up the gently swaying blades of lawn at home). 

By the age of 14 I was riding competitively for the local club in mid week and open races.  I raced for about six or seven years, all over Ireland and although major successes were fairly rare, I prided myself that I was there as the sometimes dependable Stagiaire for my more aggressive club-mates. 

One of my mentors once told me that cycling is not just a sport, it’s a way of life. He was right. It’s the type of sport that is all consuming. You only truly know yourself when you are 70kms from home having already done 100km, with no food or water left and with barely the will to lift your head. And no mobile. It’s amazing how far you can get on camaraderie alone. 

Another lesson I learnt fairly early on: the cyclists with the most ability don’t always win. Motto for a cycling life - those that want to suffer the most win. Evidently I am not a big fan of too much sufferance.  And then you get up and do it all the next day again - for fun. Its seems like lunacy so why on earth am I doing this event?

Well, as time passed and having graduated in 2002 and started working life in the investment world, time constraints enforced a somewhat reluctant down turn in my cycling activities.  The last major cycling event I took part in was the Wicklow 200 about five years ago (typical Irish – it should actually be called the Wicklow 250! –but that’s a different story of pain).  Since then I have settled into a nice routine of exercising less and eating more… 

With Burns junior number three due in July I was determined to do some kind of epic adventure when this event dropped on my lap like a sign from the Gods.  What’s more, it has afforded all of us taking part the opportunity to raise some money for the Geoff Thomas Foundation and the fight against blood cancers.  Let there be no jokes, Cancer of any type is awful and most of us will or have been touched by its wickedness at some point in our lives.  This is a great challenge for all of us taking part in this cycle ride and an opportunity to show some support for all those who suffer and are engaged in fighting these harrowing diseases.  So empty your pockets and please make it all worth while.

Andrew's JustGiving page

No comments:

Post a Comment