Sunday 24 April 2011

The cycling is improving, just need to sort the running now!

At the moment I am only managing to get out on my bike at the weekend generally for a long run on Sunday morning. Despite this rather tardy approach to training I am pleased to report that my strength and stamina is improving and I am slowly edging towards my target of riding in the Wheel Hero's 100 in Stratford Upon Avon on 22nd May. Both Gordie and I will be doing this ride with Geoff and if any of the other guys wish to join us let me know and I will arrange. Geoff mentioned that he may get a friend of his, Jessica Varnish (track world champion) to ride with us - goodness knows what she will make of us!

Anyway back to today's run. The last time I rode 75 miles in a day was the 2010 Birmingham to Oxford. That ride is etched in my memory for all the wrong reasons. I didn't crash or do anything serious but just felt wretched, had little energy and struggled all the way to Oxford. Today's B group ride was out into the Staffordshire countryside and we reached our destination in a little over 2 hours averaging 16.9mph. Like last week I didn't stop and turned around and used my Garmin to direct me home for what I thought would be a shorter route - how wrong I was. Two and a half hours later I arrived home having covered a total distance of just under 75 miles.

The big positive of today's run was that I covered a lot of miles with no stops and by eating and drinking at regular intervals my energy levels were good and the only thing to cause me some discomfort were a few aches and pains in the legs. So the training is making a difference and I am now enjoying the longer rides.

Next on the sporting agenda is the Shakespeare half marathon in a fortnight. Whist my cycling training has been a bit patchy my running over the last 2 months has been non-existent so if I am not able to get out for some longer runs over the next week it may be best if I kissed that idea goodbye. Watch this space for further updates.

1 comment:

  1. Stephen - just need to add swimming and you can add a few triathlons to your list. Looking forward to catching up in May

    ReplyDelete