Wednesday 30 March 2011

Rider biog: Clark Povey

I have always had a passion for road cycling and was amazed at an early age watching the Tour de France, and the sheer determination and endurance demonstrated by those cyclists and childhood heroes – Miguel Indurain, Greg Lemond and Eddy Merckx, all of whom pursued a common goal and a desire to be the best. At the age of 12, I received my first "real" racing bike and that was it – hooked.

Over the last number of years, I have pursued a number of cycling events with the biggest and longest being a charity ride from Belfast to London, 511 miles in five days called the "Virgin Media Big Ride". This was a huge success and able to raise a substantial amount of funding for the charities we were supporting and a great feeling of being able to give to others whilst challenging myself.

The invitation to ride with Geoff Thomas and support Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research at this year's London to Paris was a great opportunity and couldn’t be missed. I clearly jumped at the chance to not only raise money and awareness for the charity but also being able to push myself to cycle the 520kms, and you never know, I may pick up a yellow jersey along the way.

Membership:
British Cycling Club member – Gosforth Road Club

Planned activities for 2011:
Great North Bike Ride
London to Paris 2011

Future cycling goals:
Mont Ventoux
Alpe d’Huez

Clark's JustGiving page

No comments:

Post a Comment