Tuesday 29 March 2011

Rider biog: Andrew Lewis

Following the end of my rugby career where I regularly trained two or three times a day, six days of the week, 48 weeks of the year a desk job came as a welcome change. Over the following years however, this more sedate way of life was manifesting itself in an ever burgeoning waist line. As a proud member of the ‘front row union’ dieting was out of the question and therefore exercise was the only solution. So I investigated my options…

The options however when you suffer disc problems in your back, have knackered knees and arthritic hips are limited and essentially come down to swimming and cycling and so I took to my bike. At first this was nothing more than a couple of miles here and there but in the last couple of years this has progressed to something a bit more serious.  As a New Years resolution I vowed to enter an organised cycling event this summer as a goal to which I could apply a more vigorous training regime.

Therefore when the opportunity arrived to apply to ride in the L2P event it was the perfect choice and one for which I’m very grateful to have the chance to take part in. On the cycling front it appears to be a superbly organised event that friends who are cyclist enthusiasts are already envious of and representing the Geoff Thomas Foundation gives me the chance to raise money for a very worthwhile cause. What more motivation could anyone want?

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the blog Andrew - will you try to beat Will Carling on the timed race sections of the ride?

    ReplyDelete