Thursday 24 March 2011

Rider biog: Nicholas Guest

I started my cycling "career" riding mountain bikes - having grown up in Yorkshire, there was never a shortage of trails to ride - and progressed to road cycling at around the age of 16. Mainly due to my Dad's passion for the sport I have, for the most part, remained a relative enthusiast, although I haven't ridden consistently (if at all) over the last couple of years. My last ride of note was the ascent of the notorious Mont Ventoux in France way back in 2008 (like Lance I only ride the "big ones" these days), which I would recommend any cycling enthusiast completes. I am thoroughly excited about training for the ride and getting to know my fellow riders over the coming months.

Having received the invitation to apply to ride for the Geoff Thomas Foundation at this years L2P event, I was determined to grab a place. 99% of Britain's cycling population has heard of Geoff and his charity and this event will not only provide me with the opportunity of riding alongside the man himself, it will more importantly allow me to play a part in both raising awareness of the charity and through fundraising, have a direct impact upon the projects being undertaken to help battle blood cancers. Although I have never been directly affected by the consequences of cancer, I passionately feel that the ongoing support into the research and development of new treatments is vital in helping to understand the disease and ultimately provide a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment