Thursday 24 March 2011

Rider biog: David Pegler

Age:
43

Married:
16 years in May

Children:
4 (youngest aged 9)

Time at Brewin Dolphin:
Joined in Sep 09 as Head of Brighton Office

Sporting background: 
Played sports at school (rugby team) but did not excel at any one sport - bit of an all-rounder




 
Current sporting interests:
Previously I did very little sporting activities with the exception of some mountain biking as I am fortunate enough to live very close to the South Downs. At the age of 39 I remember being a little on the heavy side for my size (14 stone) - too many corporate lunches. This was really brought to my attention when my youngest daughter innocently said to me one day: 'Daddy, I still love you, even though you are a bit fat'. With my 40th birthday approaching I decided to make a few changes. I tried running but found it quite hard on the body, so a friend suggested swimming for cross-training, I also made every effort to increase the time on the bike. With a bit of determination to get off my backside and be active together with some better food choices the weight finally started to come off. Once I felt my efforts were being rewarded I suppose I got the 'sporting bug' and wanted new ways to challenge myself and keep in shape. The obvious jump was to find a local triathlon club and train with like-minded driven individuals. After only a relatively short time at the club I was entering some short distance events and enjoying the sport, most importantly my fitness had improved and I was the correct weight for my size (12 stone) - the new improved 'Fit Daddy'. Now certainly going through my mid-life crisis but more interested in carbon / titanium bikes than fast cars. Proud member of the 'MAMILS' Group - 'Middle-aged men in lycra shorts'

Best sporting achievements:
Running the marathon in under 4 hours was always a long-term goal. I achieved this last year - Brighton 3:51. However I am most proud of my completion of the 2010 Antwerp 70.3 Ironman event (1.9km swim, 90km bike; 21km run - half marathon), with a time of 5 hours 27 mins.

Future sporting goals:
Now I have started in the triathlon world I feel I must have a go at the full Ironman distance - 3.8km swim, 180km bike and then a full marathon. The plan is to have a try in 2012 (Olympic year) - watch this space!

Planned activities for 2011 (main events):
Just completed the Brighton half marathon in 1:38 (PB); Full Brighton marathon – Apr; Triathlon training camp in the Alps – May; Ironman 3.8km river swim – June; London 2 Paris charity bike ride – June; New Forest 70.3 triathlon - Sep

Charitable support:
The Brighton Office continues to be keen supporters of Chestnut Tree House, the only Children’s hospice in Sussex. It will be a real privilege to also support the Geoff Thomas Foundation at this years L2P event. I have had some family history with cancer so feel that the ongoing support into the research and development of new treatments is vital in helping to understand the disease and ultimately provide a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment