Monday 30 May 2011

Rubis Jersey Annual Town Criterium & Road Race

We have just had our biggest annual cycling event in Jersey, giving me an opportunity to see first hand just how slow I am! On Saturday I joined the weekly club ride round the Island, which proved a little more interesting than usual. We normally form three or four groups not to upset the traffic too much. I set off in the second group to be followed in the fourth group by 5 of the Team UK Youth including Magnus Backstedt. We all met up at Gorey as usual on the east coast to regroup, but having had too much liquid intake before I set off, needed a pit stop. Climbing back on the bike I now found myself at the back of the group with the UK Youth Team just starting up the hill. Not being the most able at cleating in, I was looking down at my right foot when I felt a hand across my back, then whosh! I was being pushed up the hill faster than I can normally ride. I can barely manage to take a drink if I'm climbing! Magnus and one other then turned off about 5 miles later but the others continued with us until the 'splash'. They had already competed earlier in the morning so this was their warm down ride before the town criterium the next day. With just a glimpse of how strong these riders are I had to go and watch. I arrived a little after the start to see the ladies race, which was one by a 16yr old Lucy Garner of Team Motorpoint. One to watch for the Olympics I'm told. The men's support race was just as exciting with 1st and 2nd places going to the other local cycling club 'Caesarean'. For the men's Elite race I was offered the chance to go round the course in the sweep car. Although I missed the race to the finish i did get to see at close hand just how fast the top athletes can ride (30mph + with inclines).

This morning was the Road Race, which being only a short distance from where we live I decided to go and watch. My wife now thinks I've gone totally cycling mad! Some 60 miles at speeds I can just about mange on a steep descent. A great spectacle and looking forward to next year already. Today was supposed to be my rest day but being so enthralled I went for a cycle with my wife. Considerably slower but fired up! Looking forward to my second sportive in two weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment