Sunday 29 May 2011

160k Sportive

Well, that's another one out of the way - that's about all I can say about today's ride. Strong winds (again) made it very difficult as did the relentless climbing. I am told that 1912 metres of elevation gain is pretty serious - it certainly knocked the wind out of my sails. I had hoped to beat last weekends time and I enjoyed a good start riding in a big group that covered 20 miles in the first hour. However, when the hills arrived, and kept coming, I felt at times that I was going backwards.

Ended the trip in a total ride time of 7 hours 10 minutes at an average moving speed of 15.2 miles. Given that there was an extra 500 metres of climbing I guess I shouldn't be too disappointed to be 20 minutes slower than last week but I am rather concerned about how tired I feel after the ride. Right now if someone asked me to ride 110 miles tomorrow and 110 the day after I would think that were a complete lunatic. I have lots to do but I guess I won't be overdoing it at a dinner party the night before L2P as I did last night.

Dropped my bike off at a repair shop yesterday and they have made a few changes to improve my riding position and I must say that I felt more comfortable on the bike today which is good news. One of the guys who works in the shop is in the support crew for L2P and has been involved for many years. He confirmed what we already know that it is a top event and the last leg into Paris is so moving that this year he will be taking one of the support bikes and riding the last few hours with us. On groupings he advised us to avoid G5 - last year they were so slow that they missed the ferry from Dover and finally arrived at their French lodgings at close to midnight - not a good start!

I hope you have all managed to get out on your bikes this weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you have now recovered from the ride at the weekend Stephen. It certainly doesn't sound like an easy ride with those hills but you did it in a good time. With your bike being sorted for a better riding position you'll hopefully find it easier with your next rides and be ready for the London-Paris.

    I have heard so many great things about London-Paris and riding into Paris with rolling road closures and motorbike outriders so I am sure you will have a really fantastic time. The sense of achievement at the end will be amazing and I can't wait to congratulate you all in Paris! Good luck with the rest of the training with less than three weeks to go now! Sarah

    ReplyDelete