Sunday 22 May 2011

A good week

Untitled by bluemoonrising at Garmin Connect - Details

It's been a good week on the cycling front. After my 60 & 40 miles last weekend I cycled to work and back 3 times and today have completed the Wheel Hero's 100m Cotswold Sportive. All that lot adds up to 280 miles over the last 8 days - and the aging body has held up pretty well!

I was looking forward to today's 100 miler as it would be the first time I have ridden that distance since I was 16 and also this would be my first trip with Gordie and Geoff. For a whole variety of reasons things didn't quite work out as I had planned. We all meet up at the start and stayed together for a very brisk 10 miles before getting separated (actually I couldn't keep up) & I never saw them again until the finish - I will leave Gordie to explain the embarrassing details! That left me cycling on my own for 90 miles in very windy conditions. It wasn't quick and at times was very hard with strong headwinds. Also note the two very big hills at about 40 miles. However, I enjoyed it and I was amazed how strong I felt at the end. Consequently I am feeling more confident about the L2P distances.

Next weekend I have a 150k sportive with Solihull C.C. and if the conditions are better I would hope to cover the ground at a slightly better pace. I will also try and squeeze in a few more rides to work but the distance at just over 1 hour each way is a little longer than I would want. I gave up on the road after I was nearly wiped out by a West Midlands Travel bus on the way home and have now found a good alternate route via the canal tow path. The mornings are great but you have to keep your wits about you on the evening run home given the amount of yobbo's and drunks hanging around. Both canal rides so far have not been without incident - one puncture and a trapped chain and I can see that a momentary loss of concentration could easily see me in the drink!

I have attached my Garmin record of today's run. Looks like I need to check my cadence sensor as it wasn't picking up much on the first half of the ride.

Finally, I was given a selection of GU Gels which Gordie and I both used. We both felt great after the ride and whilst some of that will be down to the training, we both thought that these Gels were really good and helped keep our energy levels at respectable levels. GU is an American company but they do have some suppliers in the UK and a lot in Ireland. I will be buying some more!

I hope your weekends went well

Stephen

2 comments:

  1. If the wind in Leeds was anything to go by, that was some fantastic training you did in a very respectable time.

    p.s. bluemoonrising? we're still 17 titles up on you lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From where we were a few years ago our Moon is definately rising Nick.

    Anyway, where did you get 17 titles from? As far as I can see Leeds have been league champions only 3 times!

    ReplyDelete