Monday 11 June 2012

Stuart's putting me to shame!

This time last year I felt very much on top of my game and looking forward to the trip to Paris.  However a number of events including the appalling weather have conspired against me to wreck my best laid training plans.

I referred to my Garmin stat's a few days ago and noted with some concern that I managed to get out on my bike only 3 times in May, 2 in April and 2 in March.  This is not the training schedule of a supreme athlete and I suspect that I will be drawing on my experience of L2P2011 and deep reserves of strength to get me through.

This month I have already managed to get out 3 times and am covering the ground at a reasonable speed which has come as something of a surprise to me.  On the basis of my recent runs, over albeit a much shorter distance, I feel that I should be able to manage G4 pace.  Whether I can maintain that over 3 days remains to be seen.  If I can't then I can always put my feet up in the broom wagon!

I clearly haven't got enough miles under my belt to consider 'tapering' so next weekend I am thinking of cycling from home in Solihull to Aberdovy where the family are gathering for a big party. The full trip would be 133miles and I have no intention of doing that but if I set off a few hours before my wife I would hope to have done 60-70 miles before she catches me up in the car.  As Sasha knows I am a fair weather cyclist so if there is any chance of rain I will opt for the comfort of the car for the entire journey.

The only other observation I would make is that my average speeds this year have improved quite a bit which is strange given my lack of training.  I don't imagine that my technique has improved so I can only put that down to my new Tarmac which is very comfortable, much lighter and quite a bit faster than my old Trek.  I have also only recently found out that I wasn't putting enough pressure in my tyres and when you weigh in at around 100kgs that makes a big difference!

Perhaps if I had properly pumped up the tyres on my Trek I wouldn't have felt that I needed a new bike.  This cycling is an expensive pastime!

I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the team next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment