Tuesday 5 June 2012

London Revolution

Finally found the time to post my blog following the London Revolution Cycle Ride of a couple of weeks ago. There were just over 1200 cyclists of mixed abilities for the two day event. The day started on industrial waste ground just outside London City Airport which was useful for me as i was due to fly back to Jersey Sunday evening. We were warned not to ride our bikes until we were on the grass matting at the start due to the possibility of glass etc however there still seemed to be plenty of punctures within the first couple of miles! I set off about 30 mins from the start on my own, but hoping to hook up with a group of similar speed. As mentioned earlier there was a range of abilities from those that had never cycled more than 50 miles in a day to the more serious club cyclists. I eventually found a small group of three after the first feed stop but unfortunately due to a loose bottle cage I was back on my own. My fault I should have checked before i set out (something to remember before we all set off in 2 weeks). The route was very clearly marked but without company it seemed a long way. Eventually found some club cyclists who were a little stronger than me. I could have hung on given the opportunity, however they seemed keen to drop me. Their wish was soon granted as they raced through a red light! Arrived at Epsom race course having completed the course in 5hr 43min which better than i had anticipated. Facilities at Epsom were very good but not being a good sleeper i decided to pass on the tent and mattress option. The shower facilities, food and entertainment for the evening were all very good but an early night was called for. As i had no rush to be at the start too early I arrived back at Epsom to find a sea of cyclists all trying to pass through the timing gate. Another coffee seemed to make sense as being at the back of the field would allow me more opportunity to meet another group as i rode through. You will be told at the L2P to introduce yourself to the rider/s next to you and from past experience making conversation helps the miles pass by much quicker. Finally met up up with three fund managers from London at the first feed station and remained with them for the rest of the ride. I was very grateful for their knowledge of riding through traffic in London and will never complain about traffic in Jersey again! Boxhill was not as bad as expected but this could be down to the new smooth surface! The climb later in the day was much steeper. Sunday scenery was was much more enjoyable and we even had the chance to ride around the outside velodrome (not the olympic one). A good weekend, dry and cold but more important 180 miles in the bank. Last weekend came down with a chest infection so missed the best weekend by far. Decided to put in the miles over the 4 day break and managed to clock an average of 80km per day. Plenty of hills and a fast pace as i was with my cycling club friends. Next weekend I have another double 155km on Saturday in Lamballe and 165km in Nantes. Hoping to improve on my Lamballe time from last year but the weather is not looking great. After that it will be a final blast the weekend before L2P then rest rest rest! If you can arrange for a sports massage on the Monday before we all set off, well recommended to loosen the muscles. Tip of the day. Although all our day and overnight bags will be placed in your chosen group they are all the the same colour with identical labels. I will be bringing a brightly coloured label to make location much easier after a long day!

1 comment:

  1. Stuart - it sounds like you are on form and looking good. I am looking forward to hearing how Group 2 works out. All the very best of luck mate.

    ReplyDelete